Sunday, May 6, 2007

Random Thoughts About England

The football season is ending here. How football works, is that that it's broken into 4 divisions, with between 20-30 teams in each. The best division is called the Premiership, the second is the Championship, the third is the First Division (!) and the fourth is the Second Division. The bottom 3 teams in each division gets sent down to the lower division ( I don't know what happens to the worst of the Second Division, perhaps they get taken out back and shot) and the top 2 finishing teams in each divsion get sent up. There is then a playoff between the next 4 teams to see who is the third team to get sent up. It's perfect, because at this time of year, teams are battling not to get sent down (they lose money and prestige) and of course get sent up.

When I was out here last year, a team called Whatley got promoted from the Championship League to the Preimership for like the first time in 20 years. They were all going crazy. I read the paper today, Whatley is dead last in the league, thereby getting sent back.


I also had bangers and mashed for lunch with two London Pride ales. Good stuff.

The VP is flying in tonight to stay in our hotel. Should be fun tomorrow, as we'll be the only 3 in the office as it's a bank holiday.....

1 comment:

dad said...

Yankees signed Clemens today. I am glad Sox didn't get him.